Thursday, July 3, 2008

Hello blog-o-sphere!

So for my first post I figured I would tell anyone that is out there reading a little about me. I'm 27 and have been quilting for about a year but have been sewing for a long time. My mom and aunt are avid quilters and I got addicted as well. I think it was seeing all of the pretty fabric that really go me hooked.
Unlike a lot of quilters I'm not willing to pay an arm and a leg for fabric. I enjoy doing my fabric shopping at thrift stores and garage sales. I follow Bonnie Hunters scrap saving system which I love. If you haven't seen this before check it out because it will change your life. http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml
My mom and I went to the quilt show in Rochester, MN last weekend and had a splendid time. There were so many beautiful quilts that were so well made it made me feel a little bad about my quilts but everyone had to start somewhere right? We did take a class on hand quilting. Neither of us had ever done hand quilting, we're machine quilters through and through. We realized we don't have the patience for hand quilting but I will finish my little piece and frame it so I can say that at least I tried. We also tried English paper piecing for the first time which I liked, she didn't.
In addition to the quilt show we went to almost every consignment shop in town. My thriftiness doesn't stop at quilting. I can't remember the last time I went to a mall or paid retail for any clothing item. It's just so much more fun to find a bargain!
Well this seems like a good point to sign off. I'm going to take some pictures of some of the quilts of made this weekend to post.

Have a happy and safe 4th!

1 comment:

Thrifty's Mom said...

I don't know where she gets it from...ha ha
I'm the one that took her to GW's and St.Vinnie's since she was little. I'm so proud of her.

As far as the quilting, she's far surpassed me in her talents. You should post some pics of some of the great quilts you've made. '

I'm holding myself back today...It's Crazy Days here in Rapids. I was going to go to the Cotton Thimble right away at 8:00 a.m., but I'm going to wait till my lunch hour. After all, I REALLY don't need anything...but you never know what you'll find for a screamin' deal!